Copper and nickel mineralization at Ferguson Lake was discovered by Inco Ltd. in 1950. Over a 5 year period, an all-season camp was constructed, and geophysical surveying, geological mapping, and diamond drilling programs were completed.
The West Zone, East Zone, and Central Zone were explored along with other targets. A 10-ton bulk sample, extracted from the West Zone in 1953, was transported to Copper Cliff, Ontario, for mill testing.
In 1987, an independent reconnaissance of PGM potential was conducted with geological mapping around and within the Inco mining lease.
A field program in 1998 included updating survey controls at several points along the 1950’s Inco baseline, prospecting, and the collection and analyses of rock samples from the West, East, and other mineralized zones.
The 1999-2004 exploration programs in the West and East Zones traced intermittent bedrock exposures with geophysical surveys and diamond drilling of more than 150 holes (62,000 metres) drilled over 3 km of strike length. Most of these holes intersected intervals of several metres with more than 1% combined Cu-Ni, including significant sections of greater than 2% combined Cu-Ni plus PGM grades averaging more than 2 g/t.